What makes mankind as prosperous as it is? Surely, one of the reasons is our ability to build upon the knowledge of each previous generation.
And reading is a great way to dive into that massive knowledge pool. I've always been an avid reader, exploring whatever I was curious about. The more I learned, the more I was able to learn.
Of course, over the years my reading habits changed as well. Here are some tips that serve me well:
- Skim generously, read selectively.
- Have a conversation with the author.
- Bring your questions and seek answers.
- Summarise main points in your own words.
- Speed of reading doesn't matter.
- Read consistently; don't wait for the right moment; stop whenever you want.
- Read How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler. Take it to heart.
And most importantly of all, don't forget to enjoy it.